We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Legends of Aria
Developer: Citadel Studios
Publisher: Citadel Studios
Genre: Sandbox, Adventure, Action, MMORPG
Shards Online is breaking away from the modern MMO conventions of levels, classes and quest grinds.
Instead, we are returning to living virtual worlds where stories emerge naturally as players explore the worlds laid out before them. The game will launch with a complete game containing several official rule-sets. Our current plans include one with a well-balanced set of gameplay, a hardcore PvP battle-royale, and even one featuring permanent character death: the ultimate game of risk versus reward.
We are initially targeting the PC platform, and plans for a Mac and Linux launch are in the works. When you purchase the game, you will be able to play on official or player run servers and run a single ‘shard’ with no additional cost or subscription fees. Players will be able to form massive servers by connecting their self-hosted worlds together using a ‘cluster server’ hosted by Citadel Studios. These servers, when marked public, are listed in-game for all players to see and join.
Shards Online is the first game that legitimately allows you to run and moderate your own game worlds with the potential to support thousands of users at one time. Customize every aspect of your servers’ gameplay experience from character development, to combat, to items and equipment, to monsters and AI. You can even add completely custom game worlds!
- Animal Taming: We currently have 20+ tameable creatures that not only respond to your commands but also age and gain skill the longer you keep them.
- Combat: We have a completely tactical and skill based combat system with 15+ combat abilities, 20+ spells, and 10+ skill based abilities.
- PvP: Outside of the guard protected areas of the world, PvP is completely unrestricted and players must stick together to survive. The penalty for death ranges by server rules from a slap on the wrist to full loot.
- Catacombs Dungeon: Catacombs is a massive 3 level dungeon that changes configurations every few hours. The dungeon is filled with traps, terrors and epic loot for players to explore and hunt.
- Titles: In addition to the title you earn from your pledge level, players can also earn in-game titles. There are currently 150+ titles available including titles like "Leader of the Revolution" and "Bane of the Dragon Age".
- Boss Battles: Test your mettle against one of our many nasty bosses: Forest Ogres, The Cultist King, The Spider Queen, The Greater Demon of Kho, The Greater Dragon, The Guardian of the Void, and Death.
- Faction System: There are two factions struggling for control of Celador, The Villagers and The Cultists, by completing tasks for them you can gain faction which gives you access to titles, additional tasks and access to special areas of the map.
- Guilds: Players can come together to form guilds that can claim their own lands and even go to war with other guilds.
- Character Customization: The first pass on character customizaation is complete which allows you to choose from several skin types and hair styles for both male and female. You can also change your hair color.
- Community Servers and Modding: Several of our pre-alpha admins have 24/7 community servers running with custom created content. (NOTE: Some aspects of modding will not be available until after Early Access release.)
[edit | edit source]
March 8, 2017: [PRESS RELEASE: Shards Online is now "Legends of Aria"][edit | edit source]
Citadel Studios' flagship title now a full-fledged MMORPG
March 8th, 2017 - Washington DC
Today Citadel Studios is proud to announce a significant change in the development of their first game. Not only has Shards Online become Legends of Aria, but we're ditching the low number of players per shard and small amount of land-space in Celador. The fans spoke loudly, and we heard them.
Legends of Aria is a full-fledged MMORPG, complete with a landmass more fitting for thousands of players at once on each server. Unique biomes, from deserts to snowy mountain climes, dense forests and murky swamps make up the face of the world. And with all that land to traverse, you're going to need a ride - mounts are finally coming to Legends of Aria.
But we're not stopping there. Players will be able to set up camps, go fishing, and rest their weary bones while traveling far from home. Archery is being added, so everyone can be their own Robin Hood. The world of Celador is ripe for the taking, and players and guilds will need to fend for themselves to make the most of life in the war-torn world.
Legends of Aria will be a full-loot PVP enabled game, but with safe havens under guard protection for fans of PVE. This way we keep everyone on one server, rather than fragment the player base. There's a whole crime and punishment system in place, which we'll be detailing closer to launch.
Take a look at our new trailer, showing off all the big changes coming to Legends of Aria. Also, for comparison, see the shots of the old map and the new to see just how much bigger the world has become.
Trailer Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnnFLMORG_o
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnnFLMORG_o " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
NEW WEBSITE: http://legendsofaria.com/
Map Size Comparison - Old versus New: New Map Image
What is Legends of Aria?
Essentially, LoA is Shards Online. But on a much grander scale. Legends of Aria is a fully-fledged MMORPG. The map is about to become much larger than our current alpha, mounts will be added, more dungeons, more crafting, a new archery skill line - more everything. For a game on a much grander scale, we needed a name on a much grander scale and tied to the lore.
We'd love to have you come visit us at PAX East, see some of the work we've been doing to turn Shards into Legends of Aria, and chat with Citadel's own Derek Brinkmann. We'll be at the Indie Megabooth Kiosk 6 all day every day of the show, and we'll have all the new stuff to show you.
Please schedule an appointment during any of the three days, and help us spread the word! Just reply to this email and pick a time and a show, and we'll get it situated!