Developer: Ice-Pick Lodge
Publisher: Ice-Pick Lodge
Release Date: 2017
Genre: Nudity, Violent, Adventure, RPG
Pathologic is a game where you take on the role of one of the three different healers who are trying to curb an outbreak of a deadly plague. It’s a plot-driven open-world thriller.
Fighting tooth and nail to survive, facing the harsh realities of a collapsing society, making tough choices and often finding yourself in lose-lose situations, you are inevitably going to come to a simple realization: the plague is more than merely a disease. It happened for a reason. And it can’t be cured unless that reason is uncovered.
In Pathologic, nothing is exactly what it seems. Although capable of saving lives, none of the three healers is an honest-to-god doctor: the Bachelor is rather a scientist; the Haruspex, the son of a pellar and an amateur surgeon; the Changeling, a blessed thief girl. The behemoth Abattoir looming above the Town is an ancient temple. The most prominent features of the local vistas were designed by opticians. The orderlies wear theatrical costumes. The children easily trade bullets for nuts. Inanimate objects like walls form blisters, and roots in the ground remind you of veins.
This is an odd place.
Get to know it, winning the affection of the locals and gaining allies, or try to carve your own path alone. Explore the Town, its inhabitants, and their traditions; fight both the plague itself and its victims; try to make a difference before the time runs out.
Just remember: you can’t save everyone.
- 12 days in an odd town ravaged by a deadly disease.
- Three protagonists with three completely different storylines.
- Time is of the essence: if you don’t manage it carefully, it’ll simply run out. You’ll have to choose how to spend the priceless minutes you have.
- Social survival thriller. You’ll have to manage your bodily functions, offsetting hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and so on. But it doesn’t boil down to scavenging resources. Surviving on your own is hard; you’ll have to win over allies.
- An uphill battle. Managing your bodily parameters may seem bearable at first, but as time goes by, it becomes harder and harder. Your own organism is only waiting for an opportunity to give up and betray you. Things are changing from bad to worse and the odds are stacked against you.
- The town is completely free to roam at your will, no artificial boundaries barring your way. Knock on any door, enter any house… and be prepared to face the consequences.
- A duel with an enemy you can’t kill. Your main foe is the plague itself, an incorporeal and malevolent entity that you have to defeat… without having the means to. It’s more powerful and more treacherous than you can imagine.
- Loot, murder, mug, steal, barter, beg… or don’t. You need resources to survive, but it’s up to you how to obtain them.
- The fights are short, ungraceful, and vicious. They don’t have to be lethal though. Many people—yourself included—would prefer to exchange their wallet for their life.